Helena Hediviges Clementina (Jane) (Elena) Purvis
HELENA HEDIVIGES CLEMENTINA PURVIS (JANE or ELENA), known to her grandchildren as "OLD HELIGEVASES", born 17th October 1825 in Chelas, Lisbon, Portugal, died 7th May 1898 (aged 72 years) at Tintern Road, Ashfield, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia (per her death certificate) (? or at "Mount View", Summer Hill, Sydney per Mayo-Elton family history), buried at Church of England cemetery, Rookwood. Memorial tablet in the Anglican Church at Cooma, New South Wales. Educated in Scotland. Moved from Lisbon to the Azores and then to New South Wales (1847), living 34 years (1855-1889) at Cooma, New South Wales, after which (1889) the family moved to a house in a Sydney suburb (?Ashfield). She left her engagement ring (composed of seed pearls and crystal and containing a lock of her husband's hair) and a sampler dated 1836 to her, as yet unborn, granddaughter Margaret Purvis Proctor (22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.), both of which are now (1994) in the possession of her great-granddaughter Errolly Jean Cross or Dibbs (188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3.). She married (14th August 1845 in Lisbon) Thomas Henry Druitt (born 21st October 1817 at Wimborne Minster, Dorset, England, died 30th December 1891 at "Chellis", Petersham, Sydney, New South Wales, buried at Rookwood Church of England cemetery, Sydney), third son of Robert Druitt (born October 1784, baptised 27th October 1784, married 29th June 1813, died 23rd March 1822), surgeon at Wimborne, Dorset, England, and of Jane Mayo (born 28th December 1791 at West Borough, Wimborne Minster, Dorset, died 18th July 1874, buried Wimborne Cemetery), whom she met while he was employed in her father's wine business in Lisbon, ordained (3rd June 1849) by Bishop Broughton to be curate of St Bartholomew's, Pyrmont, Chaplain to Garrison (1850), Master (1853) of the St James Grammar School, Headmaster (1854-5) of the King's School, Parramatta, Sydney, New South Wales and then (1856) of St James' Church of England Grammar School, Sydney, Minister of Christ Church (later St Paul's), Cooma (1856-90), Canon of St Saviours Cathedral (1876), first Archdeacon of the Monaro and Goulburn (1885-90)("during his residence in the district he whole-heartedly threw himself into all movements which had as their objective the progress of the district or the betterment of local conditions. He was largely instrumental in the establishment of the Cooma District Hospital" (c. 1860)), and minister of St Paul's, Murrumburrah, New South Wales (1890-91), having eleven children:-
<< View previous History article
View next History article >>
This site powered by ©, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2019 and Helios Internet Systems.